Ergonomic mice are designed with the user in mind. How thoughtful, right? Here at The Human Solution, we care too. We know that there is a large market for people looking to make the switch from the old standard computer mouse design, which has basically been in use since the mid-1980s, to a more ergonomic mouse. Can you think of any other products that you use on a daily basis that haven’t taken a step forward in innovation for almost thirty years? If you still need convincing, here are five reasons to use an ergonomic mouse:
1. Don’t Twist Your Wrist! – A standard computer mouse forces wrist pronation and stress on tendons, which can lead to repetitive stress injuries and long-term damage. Simply put, as humans, our wrists weren’t meant to twist in the way a traditional mouse requires you to all day long. Most office jobs require up to or exceeding eight hours of this position. An ergonomic mouse, such as the Evoluent Vertical Mouse, allows the user to mouse in the natural, handshake position. Don’t turn the other cheek on this idea, turn your wrist.
2. Less Is More – An ergonomic mouse is designed to require less grip strength than a traditional mouse. Forcing less grip on your mousing hand releases the tension of the tendons in the wrist. This allows for less fatigue and less chance of aggravation over time. Using a vertical mouse transfers the strain and energy from the hand and wrist tendons to the stronger, larger muscles of the upper arm. Use your strengths!
3. Help Ease Existing Pain – Most people don’t start out their computing lives using an ergonomic mouse. This leads us to a frequent problem we run across as ergonomic experts at The Human Solution: wrist pain. While it may not always sound like much, wrist pain can be excruciating and it is only further worsened if your job requires you to use a computer for most of the day. Ergonomic mice can help to alleviate existing wrist, hand and arm pain by correcting improper mousing techniques.
4. Help Prevent Future Injury – Don’t wait until you have pain to get started with an ergonomic mouse. Working with an ergonomic mouse can help to prevent any problems in the future by promoting a neutral mousing position and relaxed grip. Correcting bad form is typically hard to do in most things. While it may take years of practice to change bad batting techniques or the form of your jump shot, all it takes to change your mousing form is an ergonomic mouse. It’s all in the design. Give it a try and you will see how comfortable the change from your old mouse can feel.
5. Designs Change For a Reason – Innovations in designs change. Every year the automobile industry rolls out new concept cars at automotive shows, and every year, production starts on those new models. Think about the huge changes that have come to fruition over the last 20-30 years, not only in the aesthetics, but in function and efficiency. Computer mice are no different. The standard “teardrop” design mouse is over twenty years old and long since outdated in the world of ergonomics. In the automotive world, it would be considered a classic.
Mouse on over to our website to find an ergonomic mouse that best suits you. We have also previously blogged about ergonomic mouse reviews if you would like some more reading material. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 1-800-531-3746 or chat with us online to speak to one of our ergonomic experts.